Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Motivation

Our first real class that is run by the students is revolved around the topic of motivation, specifically self motivation and what factors influence it in a negative and positive way. We did a short quiz that asked a few questions about self motivation and asked us to rank them from a 1-5 scale on how applicable it is to our everyday lives. The score I received on the quiz was a 39, which was right in the middle of the pack. This score reflects that I'm self motivated during some scenarios, but less motivated when it comes down to other situations. I think this a pretty accurate reflection on how I motivate myself to perform in situations because I always have a strong drive when it comes down to getting school work done compared to the drive I have when there is a situation that doesn't directly affect me as much. Also, the first group asked us to write down the five things that motivated us the most and the five biggest distractions that cause us to lose that drive. My top five motivators are family, friends, future jobs, personal goals, and overall success. I remind myself everyday that these are the factors that keep me going in life and that I have to follow them in order to have a successful life. My top five biggest distractions are the weekends, friends, work, TV/Computer/Xbox, and sporting events. These are events that have consistently challenged my motivation to complete tasks because these are my outside factors that also play a critical role in my life. Learning how to balance the distractions in my life are key to increasing self motivation and I need to realize that these factors could potentially affect my life in a negative way. Motivation is a critical aspect of individual performance in organizational management due to the fact that a good working team starts with well prepared, hard working, and self driven individuals. A good working team cannot have individuals that have an issue with motivating themselves to perform at the highest level that they possibly can.  If  individuals in the work force aren't motivated, than mistakes could possibly happen due to the lack of focus and drive to complete the task in a quality manner. An organization doesn't want problems associated with their work force because it could cause the patients they serve to switch health care providers, leading to less overall profit gained. Also, if the problems come down to one certain individual that wasn't self motivated to deliver the highest quality of  care, than the organization is most likely to take some form of action in delivering an appropriate punishment. A health care worker does not want to have the reputation hanging over them as being lazy because it could affect future job offers by different organizations or promotions to new job titles. I believe that the topic of motivation is an excellent choice for the first class run by the students because that is the first step in having a quality and high functioning health care team. Overall I've learned that I need to work on balancing some of the distractions in my life to become more self motivated, no matter what the situation is. Motivation is the key to becoming successful in the work force at an individual level as well as a team level. Individuals without motivation will drag the team down and affect the overall quality of healthcare being delivered. Motivation is the engine on the team and needs to be consistently fueled with individuals that have the drive to be successful.

1 comment:

  1. Another thoughtful, self-reflective post. I had an interesting conversation with John Fernandez, the CEO of Mass Eye and Ear. http://healthleaderforge.blogspot.com/2016/08/john-r-fernandez-president-and-chief.html

    There's a link at the end of the description to a couple of slides he gives people he is mentoring to help them sort out what motivates them and what kind of career they want.

    ReplyDelete