Thursday, May 4, 2017

Internship oppurtunity

With the semester winding now, it's almost time to start focusing on the summer internship that every junior Health Management and Policy major must complete this summer. My internship is at the New Hampshire Hospital Association in Concord and my preceptor is Kathy Bizzaro-Thunberg. I am very excited to put my foot in the actual health care setting and get a taste of what I could potentially being doing in the near future. Along with excitement, I am extremely nervous as I don't really know what to expect come my first day on the job. However, my preceptor is an excellent woman and really makes you feel comfortable while communicating with her. I feel as if she will make me feel comfortable right away and get me integrated into whatever projects they are currently working on. Another aspect of the internship that is exciting is that there is a past UNH HMP alumni that is only a couple of years older than me. This could really help because she could give me tips on what to do during the internship because she has been there for a few years.

Going into Concord, I would really love to experience as much as I can and work on any projects that will help the organization out. From the sounds of it, I'm going to be starting in the State building and learning about the background of the organization before I actually start working on any individual projects. This will get me integrated and up to par with all of the issues that the organization is trying to battle.

In my opinion, I feel like this course has really given me a handful of tools and tips on how to act in a professional setting. I learned that communication with my preceptor is very important along with the way I present myself. If I ever get stuck I know I should ask questions rather than do it on my own because I don't want to present a solution that isn't correct. Being confident in my abilities is crucial along with being polite and nice to everyone at the organization.

Overall, I am ready to start my internship in a couple of weeks and I have to gear my mind up for the switch. I'm used to working at Hannaford's all summer and this is obviously a huge jump/improvement than the produce department of a grocery store. As long as I keep the tools I learned from this class in my mind, I think I will be just fine at the New Hampshire Hospital Association.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great opportunity to learn and network. Kathy is a rock star. I'll look forward to checking in with you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she definitely seemed like an awesome person! I will be on my email this summer so I look forward to sharing my experiences.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like such an exciting opportunity! Good Luck !

    ReplyDelete