Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Reflection on the class

With only a couple of class periods left, I wanted to give my personal opinion on how the class was run. Next week we have our primers, portfolios, and peer evaluations due and after that we are basically done with the course. I've never taken a course before where the students teach the majority of the time and it was definitely a learning curve for me. I thought this class was excellent and was designed perfectly for my major.

Student led presentations every class is an excellent and different way to learn new material. I feel like students pay more attention when other classmates are presenting because the information is being delivered in ways that we can understand better. Also, with all of the group activities integrated into the presentation, it forces the students to consistently stay engaged. Overall, I thought this part of the class was a great way to practice public speaking skills and get to know everyone better on a personal level.

I also really liked the blog aspect of the class as well. Personally, I liked how we could reflect on the class in a less formal way and jot down whatever thoughts come to mind. We were allowed to write about anything that we wanted which gave us a sense of freedom. Also, this was a creative way to enhance our writing skills and have something to show future bosses potentially.

Lastly, I like how a lot of the final grade is based on how the students grade you in different sections of the class. The students are the ones teaching the class, which means they should have some impact on how grades turn out to be. Peer evaluations are a great way to show students things they did well and things they could potentially improve on.

Overall, I thought this was a great class throughout the whole semester. There were only around eleven kids so we were able to get to know one another at the individual level. This class improved my public speaking skills as well as my writing skills. Finally, this class gave me a portfolio that I could show my boss and tell them what I actually learned.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found the experience meaningful. It's been good getting to know you and your colleagues better.

    ReplyDelete